Sunday, January 13, 2008

Orzo Keema



I’m a big fan of orzo. For those people who don’t know what orzo is, it is a beautiful rice-shaped pasta that is often times used as a substitute for rice. I have included some of my favorite orzo recipes on this site before – like this one for saffron orzo and this one for a summertime orzo with veggies.

I would have to say that the orzo recipe I made a few nights ago really was one of the best I've ad, and it can be a complete meal rather than a simple side dish. It incorporates many wonderful Indian spices and you can use ground beef, ground lamb, or ground turkey.

For some reason though, I can never take a good photograph of an orzo dish. It’s like my camera wigs out on me when it sees orzo on the plate. So just remember that this is much tastier than it looks in this photograph.

Orzo Keema
Serves 4

2 T vegetable oil
1 lb. lean ground beef, ground lamb, or ground turkey
2 T minced garlic
2 T minced peeled fresh ginger
1 jalapeno with seeds, chopped
4 or 5 whole cardamom
1 ½ tsp. curry powder
8 oz. orzo pasta
2 cups beef broth
1 cup chopped tomato
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add meat and sauté until cooked through. Using slotted spoon, transfer meat to a bowl.

Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic, ginger, and chili to same skillet and sauté 2 minutes. Add cardamom, curry powder and orzo and stir for a minute or so. Add broth and bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook until orzo is tender and most of broth is absorbed, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking on bottom of skillet, about 15 minutes. Return meat to skillet, add tomatoes and cilantro, and mix in. Remove cardamom before serving. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from Epicurious.

4 comments:

Thistlemoon said...

I too love orzo - it is such a great pasta! I use it quite a lot!

I think it is great you want to be a professional foodie! I always call myself that! I thought I had coined the phrase! :)

Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll!

yanmaneee said...

pg 4
off white clothing
birkin bag
kd 11
kyrie 5
nike air max 270
yeezys
goyard
longchamp bags
kanye west yeezy

tesat said...

you could try these out Dolabuy YSL visit our website i was reading this click here to read visit this web-site

Anonymous said...

fear of god essentials hoodie
off white
kd shoes
golden goose outlet
off white hoodie