Thursday, August 30, 2007

Summertime Orzo

Sorry I have been out of touch for so long. I have been traveling a bit. Actually, I just got back from the Grand Canyon and Sedona not too long ago. It was amazing. Here are some pics:




Ok, now on to food. Obviously, since I’ve been traveling, I haven’t had a whole lot of time to cook. But now that I’m back, let’s get back to the good stuff.

I’m a big fan of orzo (rice shaped pasta), and it’s particularly good in the summer time because you can add all sorts of fun veggies to the mix. Tonight, I added cherry tomatoes, zucchini, and some feta cheese. YUMMY! It was soooo good. I highly recommend this one.

Summertime Orzo
Serves 4 (as a main dish)



1 cup dried orzo
2 medium sized zucchinis – sliced about a half-inch thick
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
½ cup crumbled feta cheese
1 tsp. olive oil
Salt and pepper

Dressing:
½ tsp minced garlic
1 T olive oil
1 ½ T red wine vinegar
1 tsp. dried parsley or ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
Salt and black pepper to taste

Cook orzo according to package directions. Brush zucchini with 1 tsp. olive oil, and add salt and pepper to taste. Place zucchini under the broiler (or on a hot grill) for 5-7 minutes, just until soft. Remove zucchini from broiler and set aside.

In a small bowl, add all of the dressing ingredients and whisk away. Add tomatoes, feta, and zucchini, and mix gently to coat.

Once the orzo is done, place it in a large bowl, add tomato-dressing mixture. Mix well. That’s it! Enjoy!

No comments: