Tuesday, January 30, 2007

C-Flower Dilemma

I think that coming up with a tasty vegetable side dish is hard. I mean, you want to keep the healthy part of the vegetable involved in the recipe (i.e., no deep-frying, cheese toppings, etc.), but you also want it to be more than edible, right?

So, yesterday, I had to work with some leftover cauliflower. There are only a couple of things that you can do with cauliflower: steam it or puree it. In my opinion, both of those options stink. So, I opted for roasting –with some turmeric, ginger, and tomatoes. Not great, but not bad either.

Roasted Gobi


1 T olive oil


Handful of grape tomatoes or 2 tomatoes, diced


Jalapeno, seeded and minced


1 T mustard seed


1 tsp. minced ginger


½ tsp ground turmeric


1 head of cauliflower, broken into florets


1. Preheat the oven to 425.
2. Mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl.
3. Place on baking sheet in a single layer.
4. Roast for 30 to 4o minutes; stir occasionally.



No comments: