Sunday, February 11, 2007

Shrimp Curry

The other day I was dreaming about going home and making some chipotle burgers. I even went so far as to tell all my coworkers that my dinner would be some spicy burgers with sweet potato fries. But when I got home…the meat was rancid. Yup, that “Good Before…” date said “Good Before 2/5/07” UGH! The meat smelled pretty atrocious. Because I was starving and I had my heart set on cooking, I had to come up with another dish using only the ingredients I had available in my pathetic looking fridge. This is what I made…






Looks pretty good, huh?



Shrimp Curry
Serves 4



1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
5 fresh curry leaves
1 teaspoon ginger, minced
1 teaspoon garlic, minced

1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 tomato chopped
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 pounds of peeled and deveined shrimp

¼ cup water

2 T chopped cilantro


1. Heat the oil in a large pan over medium high heat.


2. Add the onions and cook until they are soft. Then add the curry leaves, garlic, ginger, salt and coriander. Mix all the ingredients in the pan.


3. Add the turmeric, salt, tomato, cayenne pepper, shrimp, cilantro, and water.


4. Reduce the heat to medium cook for 5-7 minutes, until shrimp are cooked through.


You can serve this with naan or rice.

No comments: