Thursday, February 1, 2007

Date with Me, Myself, and I

I was on my own for dinner tonight. This basically meant SUSHI for me!!! Most people have trouble going to a restaurant by themselves because they are afraid of looking sad and pathetic to other patrons…but I’m not most people. I have no problem sitting at a table by me lonesome with a great book and a plate of yummy food in front of me. I could sit for hours reading and eating. But alas, I don't have the luxury of such time. The two girls at home needed to be fed their chicken giblet dinner (topped w/ tuna flavored prozac, of course), so my time was slightly constrained.

Tonight I opted for spending my free time at Sushi Jin in Silver Spring. Sushi Jin is a fairly new restaurant in the area and of course, if they have great food and a knowledgeable and courteous wait staff, I’ll support the newbies in town.

By the time I left work tonight, I was starving. So, I grabbed my book (Murder in Amsterdam – it’s a little heavy), my fat coat, gloves and beanie, and headed out for my own personal date.

When I got to the restaurant, it was fairly early still, so they offered me a booth. I started with Seafood Gyogo, which are pan-fried dumplings filled with minced seafood. Hmm....not so much. While the taste was good, the texture threw me - papery. For my sushi, I ordered a shrimp tempura roll, a spicy tuna roll, and salmon sashimi. All of the sushi was excellent, and the salmon was so fresh and velvety! I loved it. Overall, it was a very good meal.

Leah was a little suspicious of my delay in getting home this evening. Maybe the smell of raw fish on my fingers didn’t help. She eyed me suspiciously all night…

No comments: