Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Masala Aloo

So, a little while back, actually many months back, I made a dish called Bombay Potatoes. They were good, not great, but good. I love potatoes, so I'll really eat any edible potato dish. Tonight, I tried a new Indian-style potato dish from the Vegetarian Times. Yes, I read the Vegetarian Times. It has great recipes and some interesting veggie information, obviously. (They should pay me for this endorsement). Anyways, I tried the dish, and guess what? I loved it! So good!!! (Um, definitely deserve pay for this ringing endorsement of a recipe).



Masala Aloo (also called Potatoes Masala)
Serves 4

16 small new potatoes, halved
2 T tomato puree (I used tomato paste)
2 T ketchup
1 T tamarind paste
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. minced fresh ginger
1 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. cayenne
1 T fresh lemon juice
2 T vegetable oil
1 T chopped cilantro

Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tender when tested with a knife, about 15 minutes. Drain, and set aside.

In a small bowl, combine 1 cup water, tomato puree, ketchup, tamarind paste, sugar, ginger, coriander, garlic, cayenne, lemon juice, and salt to taste.

In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add tomato mixture and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.

Add potatoes, stirring to coat. Cook, stirring often, 2 minutes.

Stir in cilantro and serve hot.

Enjoy!

No comments: